Monday, December 14, 2009

10.20 a disney letdown. & calling all gamers!

I've been a Disney princess myself, since the womb. Along with most of the girls in my generation. And I can see the difficulties of creating 3D figures, it is a process..attaching sensors to a human body, turning this into infared light and then projecting it as a computer image, but when Santiago showed us the youtube video of Disney templates, I was thoroughly disappointed. For all the years I've enjoyed my favorite Disney movies, not once did I imagine Snow White dancing the same steps as my beloved Belle. But what little girl would? The magic of Disney creates a facade of true originality and creativity one would never second guess. This revealing, I admit, left a tainted image of Walter Disney in my mind, but never will I allow this to separate me from my Disney roots.
And while I had Beauty and the Beast on repeat, memorizing every line of "Be My Guest," my older brother was already indulging himself in a habit that would later change his life, and teach him some lessons he would never forget. His addiction to video games didn't begin with "Odyssey" or even the incredibly successful "Pong" by ATARI, but the underlying idea of video games remained the same throughout the years.
A computer with a mind?! It seemed so..The perception of artificial intelligence (playing solo against a computer) was more intriguing to my brother than playing with/against his little sister. The computer had more skills. It was more of a challenge. So to win meant more bragging rights, which was okay because I had taken enough verbal abuse from losing to big bro anyway.
He'd sit there for hours, trying to "beat" the game, staring up at the tv screen like a "deer in headlights," my stepdad would say. The ability to interact with technology is what first caused Pong arcade games to be jammed with quarters, but almost as influential were the interactions the games created within the same breathing species. Person to person.
The competition games creates between friends, or even strangers, can be healthy if kept in good fun, but detrimental if taken too seriously. For big bro, the competition, and what it took away from the rest of his life, became a reason to come home from college, half way through. For others, it means thousands in prize money and their chance at some fame.
Either way, there are connections being made all over the world because of video games, today more than ever. Especially with the simple accessibility and easy means of communications games of the present (and future) include. Played online, gamers can get the latest updates in their server, with no extra fees. A headset and microphone may be an extra price, but this comes with the ability to talk (shit) to people in other states, countries, or down the hall in another room. So Cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment