Tuesday, December 15, 2009

day-dreaming, unplugged. (performance art)

When technology fails us, it's almost like a bad dream. I've tried to use technology to escape reality - and in an attempt to escape reality, it was an attempt to escape the feeling that I had lost someone forever. Because, I had. And it couldn't be real. Erik Nicoletti was, in a sense, my "brother from another mother." But the helpless feeling I had when he was taken from me, and the rest of the world, was inescapable. Every piece of technology I used-my cellphone, ipod, it's portable speakers, any computer..filled my head with thoughts of him. It was overwhelming. Along with my usual frustrations with technology - not being able to establish an internet connection when I need it most, my ipod losing all battery when I could use the comfort of my favorite song..every attempt to escape within the world of technology failed, and the pain left me in disbelief. Numb of all emotions and detached from the real - even when it was all around me, right before my eyes. The battle with the "healing vs. hurting" powers of technology made me exhausted, even after a full night's sleep. As you can imagine, with dreams like this one...

No comments:

Post a Comment