Monday, December 14, 2009

putting the peaces back together again.


In my rendition of our xerox self-portrait project, I reused a box that previously delivered to me 75 white sailor hats. This idea alone made it an appropriate medium of self re-creation, as I am very involved in my sorority here at UT, and it's not unlikely to hear sailor references made about us "dee gees." Reason for this? Our national symbol is the anchor, which stands for hope, and can be seen in the collage several times along the bottom, where it would normally sit on my neck. I'm in here other ways, too. Besides the literal copies of my bod. A strong advocate for environmental legislation, I spent this summer traveling the towns of Long Island, knocking on doors and promoting positive change for our fast changing world and atmosphere. Saving the earth in smaller, but still effective, efforts, I made sure all original box packaging was recycled :). The paper I pasted the many features (and expressions) of my face onto, the styrofoam peanuts that make up the international symbol for peace in my fingers, and all the rest that gave support (and va-va-va-Volume) to the center of the box by simply resting behind the skewed image of my face.

No comments:

Post a Comment